News:

One Minute Game Review by The Happy Friar: https://ugetube.com/@OneMinteGameReviews
Also on Rumble: https://rumble.com/c/c-1115371

idTech 4 (aka Doom 3 tech) Discord Server! https://discord.gg/9wtCGHa

Main Menu

Classic RBDoom 3BFG

Started by MadDecoder, May 11, 2018, 11:17:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadDecoder

Hi, I make a new branch of the RBDoom3BFG engine, this new branch restores various cut content (from coding side) for the classic Doom games while improving their modding support (that wasn't even existing in first place), also restores the video audio support for .bik videos and the .ogg audio file support for Doom 3, and finally it adds a new option that is allowing you to have or the armor-mounted flashlight or the weapon flashlight.

Also it comes with a launcher that allowing you to load mods on all 3 games.

https://github.com/MadDeCoDeR/Classic-RBDOOM-3-BFG

motorsep

Nice one!

Might as well add tools and enhancements/fixes from Storm Engine 2 ;)

MadDecoder

Ok I might have not added yet an editor but I manage to make Doom 3 campaign mods to show as expansions and added the option to change the aspect ratio on Doom 3.

EmoLevelDesigner

I'm very happy to see ability to launch TNT Evilution, Plutonia Experiment and Master Level right from the main menu. Classic flashlight and launching custom maps from separate folders are also welcome additions.

Bug that makes No Rest For the Living play incorrect music is not fixed (https://doomwiki.org/wiki/No_Rest_for_the_Living)

Classic Doom mod support seem to be broken to me. I tried to launch FATE02.WAD for Doom2 using launcher and .bat file with -file fate02.wad command-line parameter, and every time I went to map2 it was second level from regular doom2, not fate02.

I extracted all wads to base/wads folder. TNT and Plutonia work, but for Master Levels it says that it can't find expansion.

pk4toBFG program is disappointing. I thought it's a .resource file generator, and it turned out to be just a .zip extractor.

Looks like this version of the game has improved stability: earthquake scene from first level of Hallowed Mod doesn't crash the game like in RBDoom3BFG. The level still doesn't work correctly though due to disappearing parts of the geometry in that scene and lack of ability to call a script through worldspawn.

MadDecoder

Quote from: EmoLevelDesigner on May 19, 2018, 02:39:49 AM
I'm very happy to see ability to launch TNT Evilution, Plutonia Experiment and Master Level right from the main menu. Classic flashlight and launching custom maps from separate folders are also welcome assitions.

Bug that makes No Rest For the Living play incorrect music is not fixed (https://doomwiki.org/wiki/No_Rest_for_the_Living)

Classic Doom mod support seem to be broken to me. I tried to launch FATE02.WAD for Doom2 using launcher and .bat file with -file fate02.wad command-line parameter, and every time I went to map2 it was second level from regular doom2, not fate02.

I extracted all wads to base/wads folder. TNT and Plutonia work, but for Master Levels it says that it can't find expansion.

pk4toBFG program is disappointing. I thought it's a .resource file generator, and it turned out to be just a .zip extractor.

Looks like this version of the game has improved stability: earthquake scene from first level of Hallowed Mod doesn't crash the game like in RBDoom3BFG. The level still doesn't work correctly though due to disappearing parts of the geometry in that scene and lack of ability to call a script through worldspawn.

A. I actually didn't even know about the bug with the No Rest For the Living expansion.

B. Are you sure the fate02.wad doesn't work because I tried it also and it works perfectly fine.

C. For the Master Levels make sure that inside the base/wads directory you have put a folder named "master" and has all the 20 wad files.

D. This was the main porpose of pk4toBFG, besides RBDoom3BFG can load perfectly fine raw files, making a pk4 to .resources extractor is nearly pointless.

EmoLevelDesigner

Hopefully No Rest For the Living will be fixed in the next update.

I managed to launch fate02.wad. Turned out, "Mods for expansion" list should have been used in the launcher, not "file" command-line parameter.

Managed to launch master levels too. Game would agree to launch them if the wads/master folder contains only these 20 wads and nothing else. The flaw here is that it says "couldn't find expansion", instead of "no wads/master folder detected" or "contents of folder are X, expected Y". It just launched the first level for me. Seems like functionality of launcher and readme files viewer that comes with original master levels is not reimplemented yet.

I personally would prefer to have BFG mods distributed as .resources files because it would look neater than many folders with files in them, and also similar to how mods for original Doom3, Quake4 and Prey2006 work, but maybe that's just me.

MadDecoder

Quote from: EmoLevelDesigner on May 19, 2018, 04:35:59 AM
Hopefully No Rest For the Living will be fixed in the next update.

I managed to launch fate02.wad. Turned out, "Mods for expansion" list should have been used in the launcher, not "file" command-line parameter.

Managed to launch master levels too. Game would agree to launch them if the wads/master folder contains only these 20 wads and nothing else. The flaw here is that it says "couldn't find expansion", instead of "no wads/master folder detected" or "contents of folder are X, expected Y". It just launched the first level for me. Seems like functionality of launcher and readme files viewer that comes with original master levels is not reimplemented yet.

I personally would prefer to have BFG mods distributed as .resources files because it would look neater than many folders with files in them, and also similar to how mods for original Doom3, Quake4 and Prey2006 work, but maybe that's just me.

Well good to read that your issues are solved. "Mods for expansion" is a unique mod exclusivity system that allowing you to load multiple mods per game/expansion without colliding with each other. As for the master levels I admit that is a flaw but I also give the instructions on how to load it.

EmoLevelDesigner

Some bugs I've noticed:

Can't read .pda files from mod's newpdas folder;
Shadows sometimes show black and white copy of the screen instead of actual shadows (map on the screenshots is Artifact Valley by Psimorph www.doom3.ru/news.php?id=1350);
Sky looks very pixelated;
Failed saving settings to profile (rare bug, only happened once);
Vertical stripe in Classic Doom (map on the screenshots is e1m8b - Tech Gone Bad by John Romero).

MadDecoder

I manage to eliminate the issue on classic Doom games with the latest version 1.1.10. Alongside with that I manage to restore linux support and updated openAL support

MadDecoder

Version 1.1.10 hotfix 1 is now available.
Improving the classic Doom cheat code system and fixing various issues on linux like the weird graphical artifact glitch.

MadDecoder

Also I have manage to port (most of) the Doom 3 Classic mod on Classic RBDoom 3 BFG you can download it from here

MadDecoder

And just added Full controller support (plug n' play anytime) on Linux. (Already available on Windows)

MadDecoder

MadDecoder

It's been a long time but now I have added EAX Audio support and game.dll support (requires to be compiled with the source code of this port)

MadDecoder

And just added support for DOOM 3 (2019) and added a new command "writeresourcefilewithdir" that allows you to pack your mod in a resource file