News:

One Minute Game Review by The Happy Friar: https://ugetube.com/@OneMinteGameReviews
Also on Rumble: https://rumble.com/c/c-1115371

idTech 4 (aka Doom 3 tech) Discord Server! https://discord.gg/9wtCGHa

Main Menu

Changing Doom 3's colour channels

Started by douglas quaid, September 24, 2014, 10:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

douglas quaid

Hey guys,

I'm not sure what the exact name for what I'm after is. I'm a little rusty with other modding tricks within D3 as I've been spending the majority of my time mapping over the past six months.

I basically want to know how/where I go about changing Doom 3's colour channels. You see I've been messing around with the idea of a black & white colouration within the D3 world. Just wondering can somebody point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Quaid.
TOTAL RECALL - Singleplayer mod for Doom 3 starring Arnold Schwarzenegger
BLACKOUT - Free indie horror game based on the id Tech 4 engine

chimueloeldragon2011

Good to hear you've been mapping mate.
You want to use a colorprocess filter. Here this material should help a lot.

textures/yourmaterialname
{
noshadows
translucent

{
program colorProcess.vfp
vertexParm 0   1  // 0.0 = source color, 1.0 = target color
vertexParm 1 4, 4, 4 // target full intensity RGB
fragmentMap 0 _currentRender
}
{
blend add
scale 2,3
translate time * staticatable[ time * 10 ], time *staticatable[ time * 10 ]
rotate time * 4
rgb 0.5
map    textures/decals/greystatica.tga
}
}

Ignore the preset values, what you need is the colorProcess program. As for the values just try what you think fits your needs. There is also a static stage in that material, just so you see you can add other various effects.

Then to use it you can reference it in a target_influence or create your own entity that will enable/disable it from the code. I'm not sure it will work from the HUD gui. I use the aforementioned method (the code one) a lot in my personal project.
FFYL

douglas quaid

That's great man, but you think too much of me. :) Let me explain...

I have absolutely no idea what to do or where to start. Where do I find the files and folders to edit?

chimueloeldragon2011

Well, being so... :)

The material needs to go in a .mtr file, you can grab a doom 3 material file, delete all of its content, rename it, and paste the material there. Or simply create a txt file and save with .mtr extension.
Then of course place that in your "materials" folder. That's all there's to it with the mtr.

Now as for the values, the ones you'll need to tweak are the two "vertexparm" lines (the ones with the comments), in the material that is. The one I posted here should already be black and white. Again you can delete the "static" stage if you want. It acts as some kind of filmgrain.

Attached there are two shots, first one is just a brush with the material. Second is the target_setinfluence affecting the player's view.

To do the second one you need to set these very basic key/values to the influence entity (in the editor)
influenceLevel 0
mtrVision textures/yourmaterialname
effect_vision 1
triggerActivate 1

With those, when triggered, your referenced material should render, when triggered again it should go away. That's how it works basically. (make sure the path and name in the influence matches the path and name in your material)

Hope this sheds some light on the topic.
FFYL

douglas quaid

Thanks man, gonna give it a shot later on? Is it a trigger once or?