Author Topic: Doom3 running on a Galaxy S5 SmartPhone with fully featured Graphics  (Read 2800 times)

oneofthe8devilz

• Doom Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Scared Pixel Studios

I wonder if that android build supports cross-platform-multiplayer and can cross-connect to PC clients/servers and vice versa ?

Google Store Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.n0n3m4.DIII4A&hl=en

Can anyone of you with a more recent smartphone test and confirm ?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 04:45:22 PM by oneofthe8devilz »
I got six little friends and they all run faster than you ;)

Check out our mods at
moddb or the SPS Homepage

motorsep

• Artist
    • View Profile
    • Kot in Action Creative Artel
Re: Doom3 running on a Galaxy S5 SmartPhone with fully featured Graphics
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 05:06:01 PM »
Last time I heard about that port it was super slow even on high end Android devices. Mobile port has to have engine threaded to yield decent performance. And as TTimo said, Doom 3 BFG engine is the best suitable for mobile Doom 3 engine. Tr3b began porting RBdoom 3 BFG to mobile, but I don't know how far he got with it.

oneofthe8devilz

• Doom Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Scared Pixel Studios
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 05:11:45 PM »
Last time I heard about that port it was super slow even on high end Android devices. Mobile port has to have engine threaded to yield decent performance. And as TTimo said, Doom 3 BFG engine is the best suitable for mobile Doom 3 engine. Tr3b began porting RBdoom 3 BFG to mobile, but I don't know how far he got with it.

Performance-wise, DIII4A looks fine to me on the Galaxy S5 video... and mobile devices keep getting faster.. so why should I bother with D3BFG... in case I am able to get my D3 1.3.1 codebase plus mod specific gamecode to run on android ?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 05:15:26 PM by oneofthe8devilz »

Check out our mods at

oneofthe8devilz

• Doom Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Scared Pixel Studios
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 05:22:18 PM »
SWEET !

Doom 3 Android Port, Complete with Internet / Network Play

The Android Port of Doom 3 requires a high end Android device to play smoothly. A nice bonus is the Doom 3 Android port even has functional network play. I was successfully able to use my Android device to play multiplayer with Doom 3 running on my Windows 8 based PC.

I would say, expecting MCS to be released on Android/Smarthphones is going to be a safe bet ;)

« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 05:33:37 PM by oneofthe8devilz »

Check out our mods at

motorsep

• Artist
    • View Profile
    • Kot in Action Creative Artel
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 06:45:03 PM »
Performance-wise, DIII4A looks fine to me on the Galaxy S5 video... and mobile devices keep getting faster.. so why should I bother with D3BFG... in case I am able to get my D3 1.3.1 codebase plus mod specific gamecode to run on android ?

Have you looked into Doom 3 BFG code base? (game code) It's almost identical to Doom 3.

But sure, when Android devices will catch up with PC, why not to run old Doom 3 on it :)

However, RBDoom 3 BFG would be much better with modern GLES 3 renderer and multithreaded.