Author Topic: Supremacy 3  (Read 4690 times)

EoceneMiacid

• View Profile
Re: Doom 3 Supremacy
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2019, 05:01:38 PM »
Should have mentioned that I've tried a whole lot of values.

With "0 -1 0", the view is smacked to the left, rolling to the right - so it's basically mirrored.

Some roll would be nice, but it needs to roll to the outside, not the inside.

EoceneMiacid

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2019, 05:19:40 PM »
I've actually had iron sights aiming in the mod for a long time, but I basically just dropped someone else's code (from the CED assets pack) into my scripts (back when I had no clue what I was doing) and got distracted by other things.

That particular implementation turned out to be much more elaborate than it needed to be, so after a thorough cleanup and revision of many weapon scripts (many of which were a mess), I now have iron sights aiming with MUCH less code, for all guns (except the big, heavy ones obviously). I'm really happy with the new scripts.

I've had the laser pointers for a long time too, but their implementation was kind of shaky as well. They now work flawlessly, and they can be toggled on and off at will. Before, I combined the laser sights with aiming (think Resident Evil) and while that worked pretty well, it's nicer to be able to toggle it, so it's active when firing from the hip, as a replacement for the crosshair, which you might have noticed is not present :)

I'm also going over the Quake 4 weapons to clean up and fix those too.

The Happy Friar

• Happy Happy Joy Joy
  • Administrator
  • Semi-Newbie.
    • View Profile
    • EarthQuake
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2019, 06:32:14 PM »
the gun guy in me is saying if the iron sights are being used correctly you should match up the front and rear sights.  :)

EoceneMiacid

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2019, 12:34:42 AM »
There's some tweaking left to be done, sure. The laser sights offsets aren't entirely correct either.
Also even when aiming, the 'idle' animation is still played. I should probably disable that, for a steadier aim.

The Happy Friar

• Happy Happy Joy Joy
  • Administrator
  • Semi-Newbie.
    • View Profile
    • EarthQuake
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2019, 01:00:24 AM »
not sure if you slowed down the player while looking down ironsights, but I'd say don't.  you're a badass marine.  If john wick doesn't slow down while gunning down baddies, why should you hunting down demons.  :)
I'd say don't worry about the laser offsets.  they'd normally be offset anyway, with the idea they're set to be accurate at a set distance.

EoceneMiacid

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2019, 01:51:22 AM »
not sure if you slowed down the player while looking down ironsights, but I'd say don't.  you're a badass marine.  If john wick doesn't slow down while gunning down baddies, why should you hunting down demons.  :)

It does slow you down, from jogging to walking. There needs to be a trade-off, and you want the extra precision by walking slower.
But you have a point, which gave me the idea that this would make for a nice unlockable skill, or powerup or whatever.

I'd say don't worry about the laser offsets.  they'd normally be offset anyway, with the idea they're set to be accurate at a set distance.

Depth-wise yeah, but here they're off a bit on the horizontal axis

EoceneMiacid

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2019, 03:55:22 AM »

Hmm, not too accurate at the moment...

Using the laser to calibrate, it's (almost) dead on now. (Thanks for the heads-up, Friar!)

Accuracy when fired from the hip isn't too good (as it should be), but it doubles when aimed.

There's one problem left, (in the machine gun's case at least), and that is that bullets appear to be fired after the firing animation, making precise shots difficult, since the fire animation is in effect when the bullet leaves the barrel. Looking at the script, seems alright to me.

Hmm.

The shotgun has been re-calibrated as well. Fired from the hip:

And while aiming:

(The spread values probably need further adjusting)

Adjusting the pistol's aim
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 06:28:20 AM by EoceneMiacid »

The Happy Friar

• Happy Happy Joy Joy
  • Administrator
  • Semi-Newbie.
    • View Profile
    • EarthQuake
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2019, 12:08:01 PM »
If you're assuming the laser is properly sighted then the bullets should always be accurate to the laser.  In your machinegun & handgun pic's that's how it would look in reality with the laser (unless you're to close to the target or to far away), so good job!  :)
I always felt the machinegun had the firing anim after bullets started leaving even in Doom 3.  I thought it was the animation.

EoceneMiacid

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2019, 03:15:26 AM »
I've disabled firing animations, kickback and spread for the SMG, so every shot hits dead center, everytime.

This reveals that the animations of the gun has no effect whatsoever on accuracy, but the laser sight remains firmly in sync with the animation, which means that the perceived accuracy of the laser depends on the frame of animation.

In other words, idle animations need to be disabled when aiming.

I also reduced the "recoiltime" value of the gun. I probably increased it at some point to give the gun more of a kick.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 11:08:21 AM by EoceneMiacid »

The Happy Friar

• Happy Happy Joy Joy
  • Administrator
  • Semi-Newbie.
    • View Profile
    • EarthQuake
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2019, 12:53:49 PM »
how did you create the laser?  If it's based on a bone location that would make sense it's in sync with the animations.

EoceneMiacid

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2019, 02:38:31 AM »
I use mtr_flashShader for this, toggled with flashlight(on/off) in the weapon script. I got the idea from a standalone laser sight mod.

But the implementation could probably be better, since the weapon's actual muzzle flash effect was sacrificed.

Then it occurred to me that "launchFromBarrel" was set to 0 on the projectile, but enabling it only makes the most marginal difference. Too bad, I hoped that would have fixed it.

I'm putting this aside to work on later, there's lots of other stuff to do.

EoceneMiacid

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2019, 08:56:18 AM »
All required Doom 3 wall/floor and light materials were imported (and work properly in the map editor). As such, I can now 'dmap' and walk around in the Doom 3 and RoE maps.

Most static entities aren't present yet, however.

Doom 3

mars_city1

mc_underground

mars_city2

admin

alphalabs1

alphalabs2

alphalabs3

alphalabs4

enpro

commoutside

comm1

recycling1

recycling2

monorail

delta1

delta2a

delta2b

delta3

delta4

delta5

cpu

cpuboss

site3

caverns1

caverns2

Resurrection of Evil

erebus1

erebus2

erebus3

erebus4

erebus5

erebus6

phobos1

phobos2

phobos3

phobos4

deltax
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 05:45:42 PM by EoceneMiacid »

EoceneMiacid

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2019, 02:07:17 AM »
Hell textures are now in too

hell1

hellhole

And, finally, the 'hell' map from RoE.

So that's the entirety of the Doom 3 and RoE campaigns. After mapobjects such as doors and the like are properly inserted, I'm going to try and combine the maps - at least, ones from the same group. For example, mars_city1, mars_city2 and mc_underground could be merged into a single map.

The maps are also going to be re-decorated, as it were. I removed all the static boxes (essentially just brushes with box textures), which will be replaced with moveable objects instead. I cleaned up all the blood splatters and the like.

As for maps from Quake 4 and Prey, I'm working on doing the same thing for them, but it's a lot of tedious work. Quake 4's material system also does things differently here, so that needs to be untangled first.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 02:56:37 AM by EoceneMiacid »

EoceneMiacid

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2019, 04:07:19 AM »

The red lens above his railgun (presumably for targeting) now actually emits an actual laser dot so you can see where he's aiming his railgun.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 04:34:41 AM by EoceneMiacid »

The Happy Friar

• Happy Happy Joy Joy
  • Administrator
  • Semi-Newbie.
    • View Profile
    • EarthQuake
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2019, 08:47:02 PM »
So that's the entirety of the Doom 3 and RoE campaigns. After mapobjects such as doors and the like are properly inserted, I'm going to try and combine the maps - at least, ones from the same group. For example, mars_city1, mars_city2 and mc_underground could be merged into a single map.
you might break scripts if you do that.  I'm betting there's quite a bit of generic entity names (like imp_01) in many of the maps.
Someone might of tried this before, and it might not be hard to get around.  If you've mananged to get this far with getting Q4 & Prey assets in D3, then you might not even care. 

:magicpony: