Author Topic: Supremacy 3  (Read 2972 times)

EoceneMiacid

• View Profile
Supremacy 3
« on: November 26, 2018, 09:54:23 AM »
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 03:02:28 PM by EoceneMiacid »

EoceneMiacid

• View Profile
Re: Doom 3 Supremacy
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 01:08:08 PM »
Right!

The time has come to shed some light on this project I've worked on, since it is beginning to approach a state that's fit for public release.

There are some traditions I deem worthy upholding in life - upgrading my rig whenever a new Doom game comes out is one of them. The technology of Doom 3 had my jaw firmly on the floor throughout my first playthrough, and I knew that this would be the engine I'd ultimately settle for. The source code release in 2011 prompted me to actually start doing something with it.

After years of trying to make peace with the way you are supposed to build a Doom 3 mod, I realized I was never going to be entirely happy with the end result. Looking at the gamedata, it is obvious id Software couldn't afford the luxury spending time cleaning everything up, probably because of the publisher's deadline. Roughly half (probably more) of all texture definitions refer to work-in-progress textures that are not present in the final game.

Simply put - the Doom 3 data is a bloated, hard-to-navigate mess.

So I ultimately decided upon building a brand new data set, from scratch, with the aim of providing the best possible base to build new mods on.

Some of my design goals are:

- Target modern source ports on any supported operating system;
- Keep the data as consistent, compact, clean, bloat-free, and easy to read as possible;
- Pre-configure the game for best possible image quality (since even ghetto PC's can run the game effortlessly these days)
- Provide as much professional-quality assets for modders to use as possible;
- Completely rework every aspect of the game, to make it much more fun to play than the vanilla game ever was;
- Modernize controls and add features common in modern FPS games;
- Provide any useful prefab I can think of to simplify map building;

Technically speaking, D3S isn't even a Doom 3 mod anymore (and the name as such is subject to change in the future), but rather a standalone game that happens to run on the same engine, and also featuring it's assets.

Probably the nicest bonus feature is that all the assets from engine stablemates Quake 4 and Prey are also included; massively increasing the amount of available content to play around with. I guess one could call it the idTech4 equivalent of the popular GMod.

EoceneMiacid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 02:27:40 AM »
To test the AI (and combat in general), I made an arena with all the Doom 3 monsters on one side and the Strogg on the other set up so they fight each other, with the Strogg primarily targeting the Cyberdemon and the demons the Makron. The Prey guys are in there too, but they just pick targets at random. There's also a fourth faction underway: the humans :)

Screenshots do not do it justice, though. It is beautiful to witness the Doom 3 engine pull this off. The dynamic lighting cast by all the projectiles, monsters, and explosions looks absolutely surreal, and performs smoothly (even though it manages to trigger the odd crash).
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 02:40:23 AM by EoceneMiacid »

xyzz

• Doom Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 04:00:58 PM »
Looks good. But who threw the Centurion from Prey into the air ?

EoceneMiacid

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 06:01:19 PM »
Well noticed :)

It occurred to me that he was being kicked around all the time, which was caused by a commented out 'mass' var, hence he had no mass.

The Quake 4 and Prey monsters have a lot of animations not being used right now, mostly for situational use.

Right now I'm working on importing textures into the project, one by one, making sure they all work fine etc. The main sources are the Wulfen packs, but they only cover a limited amount of textures, so the remaining ones come from Doom 3. I'll probably add Quake 4 and Prey textures too, down the line. Might as well.

As for maps, I'm experimenting a bit with some ideas. Apart from making my own, I'm thinking of stitching remixed versions of all the Doom 3 and RoE maps together into a single campaign.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 02:12:35 AM by EoceneMiacid »

EoceneMiacid

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 03:18:49 AM »
Maps!

After spending considerable time importing all the required materials, textures and objects, it can now compile and run Doom 3 maps.
Next time I have a lot of free time on my hands, I'll work on doing the same for Quake 4 and Prey maps. How about stepping through portals from one game to another?

xyzz

• Doom Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 02:21:54 PM »
Is that a base Doom 3 map?  Also the shader looks very Quake 4-ish.

About the portals. I remember on Doom3World was a tutorial regarding that. I tried looking for it using archive.org and excavated d3w but could not find anything. Maybe other people on these forums know?

EoceneMiacid

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 04:01:52 PM »
Yeah, it's Mars City 1, but without any entities or models. Feels strange walking around in it, as if abandoned. Quite creepy, actually :)

Meanwhile I've imported all the required materials for other maps, so now I can walk around in mc_underground, mars_city2, admin, and cpu too.

I'll try and get at least one Quake 4 map up and running by tomorrow.

EoceneMiacid

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2019, 02:59:31 PM »
I have been working extensively on the project the last couple of days.

I continued working on importing all the materials of Doom 3, so I can compile and run more maps now. Still a bunch to go.

Apart from that, I wrote a whole new bunch of particle effects for blood and gore, and I've implemented a gibbing system (vanilla Doom 3's actually), but put to much better use here :)) still a lot to do, but looks promising.
Blood sprays a lot more generously (and more entertainingly) now. The plasma weapon now leaves nasty scorch marks on flesh, with black billowing smoke. That sort of thing.

Fireballs now explode into spark showers, some with trails. Combat scenarios look like fireworks now :)

Quake 4 and Prey monsters now start to properly work. I have been fixing all their animations with associated sounds, they fire projectiles, and demonstrate simple 'use melee attack when in range, ranged attack when in line of sight, chase when neither of the previous two is true'-behavior. Having them fire different projectiles is going to require some further script doctoring.

I also implemented a system where monsters carrying firearms can run out of ammo. They're still not smart enough to do anything else but beeline straight towards you, however :)

Another nice feature I added is I added a custom cloak skin (think Predator) for every monster.

EoceneMiacid

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 12:13:52 PM »

EoceneMiacid

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2019, 10:27:17 AM »
The player now correctly (well, more or less) holds Quake 4 weapons:

Assault rifle

Lightning gun

Railgun

Of course, the weapon view model still has the Quake 4 arms attached. How would I replace them with Doom 3 guy arms?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 11:08:31 AM by EoceneMiacid »

xyzz

• Doom Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2019, 11:50:19 AM »
:D

EoceneMiacid

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2019, 03:01:31 AM »
Nice, how did you get the entity gui to work?

Blaster

Hyperblaster

Grenade Launcher

Dark Matter Gun (Fired like a pistol)

And some Prey weapons:

Hunter Rifle

Leechgun

Acidgun
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 03:21:19 AM by EoceneMiacid »

EoceneMiacid

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2019, 05:51:31 AM »
More weapons!

I wanted to expand the arsenal even further, so here's a couple of new weapons from the Q2 Lost Marine mod :)

Shotgun

Super Shotgun

Machine Gun

« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 08:52:11 AM by EoceneMiacid »

EoceneMiacid

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2019, 11:22:34 AM »
Finally gotten round to polishing the HUD (somewhat)

The weapon indicator panel works properly (sans ammo counter), but it's of little use since there are way too many weapons for the player to use, so a new script-driven system will need to be developed.

I also added a blinking effect to weapons and items that can be picked up:

This is helpful to find items in the dark.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 11:35:14 AM by EoceneMiacid »