Author Topic: Doom 3 Supremacy  (Read 744 times)

The Happy Friar

• Happy Happy Joy Joy
  • Administrator
  • Semi-Newbie.
    • View Profile
    • EarthQuake
Re: Doom 3 Supremacy
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2019, 08:58:19 PM »
Hmm, could be nobody cares or knows.  Hexen 2 is pretty darn old at this point.  I only had AD because lots of modern Quake maps want it as a base, never played it on it's own.

I'd say just release the assets for each game respectively & the mod separately saying you should get these.

EoceneMiacid

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2019, 08:06:35 AM »
Okay then.

I'll see what I can do.

Stay tuned!

EoceneMiacid

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2019, 05:00:59 PM »
Okay.

Ran into some technical snags. I actually forgot it requires a custom game library, since the default one insists on the presence of the PDA and Soulcube, two items I haven't included, if only because their slots can be put to better use.

Speaking of slots, a custom library is inevitable anyway, since I have about 30 weapons in the mod, requiring a different approach to handle them.

I thought of creating three player classes, each with their own set of weapons, but I don't like the idea of not being able to pick up and use a weapon that isn't defined for your class.

So I'd like to implement a new system, where the player is granted three slots: Light (sidearms), Medium (main weapon) and Heavy (rocket launchers, bfg's). This will force the player to swap weapons frequently, depending on the situation and availability.

This'll take some time, and I'd like to release a preview version before that.

As for separating the content in pak's, this is also not so straightforward. The problem is the new guns and monsters require scripts to be loaded (typically from doom_main.script). I can obviously provide the default doom_main with the base pak, and include a newer one in the content paks, but what if the user has multiple paks installed?

This is what's holding me back keeping everything modular, which was the idea at first. Maybe this can be addressed through the use of a custom library as well.

On the plus side, I've done some more polishing and error fixing. Some of the later changes I've done introduced a bunch of issues, which I've been addressing. I'm also including a map that's like a sandbox for the player to go nuts in, featuring all of the assets included.

I'll see what I can do about the library issue (either re-implement the PDA/soulcube for now, or set up a proper git repo with the custom code)