Author Topic: Re: Doom 3 Supremacy  (Read 272 times)

The Happy Friar

• Happy Happy Joy Joy
  • Administrator
  • Semi-Newbie.
    • View Profile
    • EarthQuake
Re: Doom 3 Supremacy
« on: November 26, 2018, 02:02:47 PM »
this the name of a mod you're working on?

EoceneMiacid

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 03:20:33 PM »
Indeed - more news to come soon!

Arl

• Doom Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 07:48:08 PM »
Well, we'll see...

EoceneMiacid

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 10:55:35 AM »
It's a bit early to start stirring up hype, but it's hard to resist not to :)

Strannix

• Doom Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 09:16:46 PM »
Ohhhh this sounds very interesting. Can't wait to here some progress news

EoceneMiacid

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 10:29:15 AM »
So, I've got this alpha version packaged up, ready to be tested.

Obviously it's full of (what I presume to be) copyrighted assets, from a number of different copyright owners.

So, what to do with it? Can I upload it and expect not to get in trouble?

ModDB is full of stuff with copyrighted assets, so...

The Happy Friar

• Happy Happy Joy Joy
  • Administrator
  • Semi-Newbie.
    • View Profile
    • EarthQuake
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 11:57:59 AM »
Depends on what's the owner of the assets.  If it was my assets, for example, if you asked me I'd say sure (unless I say in the readme just credit me, then I wouldn't care), because I don't really care as long as you don't steal.  If it's stock D3 assets, unless they're modified in some way it's basically a no-no.

caedes

• Demon Herder
    • View Profile
    • My Github Account
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 10:17:07 AM »
Depends on what's the owner of the assets.  If it was my assets, for example, if you asked me I'd say sure (unless I say in the readme just credit me, then I wouldn't care), because I don't really care as long as you don't steal.  If it's stock D3 assets, unless they're modified in some way it's basically a no-no.
"Probably the nicest bonus feature is that all the assets from engine stablemates Quake 4 and Prey are also included"

So it's Q4 and Prey assets so I doubt this is legal.

The Happy Friar

• Happy Happy Joy Joy
  • Administrator
  • Semi-Newbie.
    • View Profile
    • EarthQuake
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2019, 12:57:42 PM »
Did you modify the assets themselves?  If not, give instructions on how to extract those assets yourself & tell them what to do.  Most people who play Doom 3 mods aren't stupid.  When I was a kid (in grade school) I was modding & creating code from magazines/text documents saying "Find code XXXXXXX on line 265 & replace it with YYYYYYY" w/o issue.
Hopefully kids & adults these days aren't to stupid for that. :)

EoceneMiacid

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019, 08:32:10 AM »
The problem with this is that it's practically an entire new codebase. Nearly every asset is modified or re-assembled from the ground up.

LDAsh

• Doom Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2019, 11:44:57 AM »
How about making some batch files, packaging in 7-Zip and something like XDelta, and then using diff patches?  It could potentially automate the entire extracting and patching process.  It may still not be 1000% legal, but at least not SO illegal (not that anyone would really care these days anyway if you don't howl at the moon about it)  :P

aphexjh

• View Profile
    • hallowed mod
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2019, 12:14:21 PM »
Taking Arcane Dimensions as an example, it seems that people have gotten away with something very similar in the past, but I think that maybe relying on people to verify that they have purchased copies of each game would be the best way to go. I realize this is not a trivial task, but something like a batch file seems like it would work. I would imagine many script assets, materials, etc. would have been modified in the course of this development, so I don't know how easy it would be to track and apply those changes, but the pk4 loading sequence might help with that.

Since these are newer games, its possible the publisher will be more scrutinizing. I think you would just get a cease and desist type letter if you ran afoul of them, but if you are redistributing raven, human head and id assets, they might have grounds to seek damages, so thats why I'd avoid that. Although, again, judging by Arcane Dimensions, I am not sure how likely this is to happen.

EoceneMiacid

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2019, 09:24:06 AM »
I've considered developing a tool that would extract the assets from installed versions of Quake 4 and Prey and then re-assemble them for use in Doom 3, but the changes are so severe (on so many levels) means it's such a big task I'd rather
spend the time developing and improving the actual project. Pretty much all the text definition files are all-new, with some copy-pasted chunks here and there, obviously. Raven Entertainment claims copyright to those original files.

I would love to release it as-is, obviously there's still a lot left to do because there's only so much time I can devote to learning all of Doom 3's subsystems in-depth, it would be awesome if others could lend their experience and contribute to what ultimately could become the definitive Doom 3 assets pack.

So, I'm on the fence here.

What do you guys think I should do?

Ask for permission and risk being shot down, and possibly monitored for at least a while?

Provide a download link to anyone asking for it in a private message, under condition they can provide proof of ownership of Doom 3, RoE, Quake 4 and Prey? (How the hell am I going to verify that?)

Provide a download link anyway, at the risk of a c&d?

EoceneMiacid

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2019, 09:28:11 AM »
The name is also outdated, since it's not really a Doom 3 mod anymore.

IdTech4 MegaMix?

LDAsh

• Doom Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2019, 11:01:40 AM »
If you look into XDelta, you'll find it can work from the command-line and you'd be able to batch-process all of your patching, so it's not as overwhelming as it seems, if you know all the tricks.  It's commonly used in the rom-hacking scene and the patches themselves are not considered as illegal roms.  I'm sure you'd have a "dev base" with all the content you've changed and organised into folders, so you'd be able to generate a text list to then make a batch file out of, without eating up too much of your time.