Author Topic: Re: Doom 3 Supremacy  (Read 521 times)

The Happy Friar

• Happy Happy Joy Joy
  • Administrator
  • Semi-Newbie.
    • View Profile
    • EarthQuake
Re: Doom 3 Supremacy
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2019, 01:14:03 PM »
Arcane Dimensions is different then this.  It used assets from Quake releases for a Quake mod.  The closest thing to this would be the Quake Arena mod for Quake 2 that got shut down because they took non Quake IP and put it in to Quake (Wolf & Doom were the issues).  Q3A was said to be ok because those IP's were all in one (this is back when id was not owned though).
Any way you could release separate mods for the respective games & then let others combine them?  Or, just release the modified assets & let people combine it themselves.  Would (seem to) be no different then my downloading assets from one game & putting them in another for my own enjoyment.

EoceneMiacid

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2019, 01:22:28 AM »
I would like to upload it to a GitHub or GitLab repository.
I can make it private, and provide access to anyone asking for it in this thread who has been a member for some time of this forum. It's a rather small community, if you've been hanging out here chances are you have at least one of the source games legitimately, right?

aphexjh

• View Profile
    • hallowed mod
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2019, 03:26:30 PM »
Arcane Dimensions is different then this.  It used assets from Quake releases for a Quake mod. ...
Hmm. I don't want to be a stickler, but Arcane Dimensions definitely does this. Observe this screenshot from Arcane Dimensions that showcases the Skull Wizard.

The Happy Friar

• Happy Happy Joy Joy
  • Administrator
  • Semi-Newbie.
    • View Profile
    • EarthQuake
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2019, 08:58:19 PM »
Hmm, could be nobody cares or knows.  Hexen 2 is pretty darn old at this point.  I only had AD because lots of modern Quake maps want it as a base, never played it on it's own.

I'd say just release the assets for each game respectively & the mod separately saying you should get these.

EoceneMiacid

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2019, 08:06:35 AM »
Okay then.

I'll see what I can do.

Stay tuned!

EoceneMiacid

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2019, 05:00:59 PM »
Okay.

Ran into some technical snags. I actually forgot it requires a custom game library, since the default one insists on the presence of the PDA and Soulcube, two items I haven't included, if only because their slots can be put to better use.

Speaking of slots, a custom library is inevitable anyway, since I have about 30 weapons in the mod, requiring a different approach to handle them.

I thought of creating three player classes, each with their own set of weapons, but I don't like the idea of not being able to pick up and use a weapon that isn't defined for your class.

So I'd like to implement a new system, where the player is granted three slots: Light (sidearms), Medium (main weapon) and Heavy (rocket launchers, bfg's). This will force the player to swap weapons frequently, depending on the situation and availability.

This'll take some time, and I'd like to release a preview version before that.

As for separating the content in pak's, this is also not so straightforward. The problem is the new guns and monsters require scripts to be loaded (typically from doom_main.script). I can obviously provide the default doom_main with the base pak, and include a newer one in the content paks, but what if the user has multiple paks installed?

This is what's holding me back keeping everything modular, which was the idea at first. Maybe this can be addressed through the use of a custom library as well.

On the plus side, I've done some more polishing and error fixing. Some of the later changes I've done introduced a bunch of issues, which I've been addressing. I'm also including a map that's like a sandbox for the player to go nuts in, featuring all of the assets included.

I'll see what I can do about the library issue (either re-implement the PDA/soulcube for now, or set up a proper git repo with the custom code)

EoceneMiacid

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2019, 09:42:09 AM »
Made some splendid progress the past few days. I'll do a full status update pretty soon. I am very excited :)

I finally sat down and figured out how AI scripts work, so I've been writing my own now for the Quake 4 and Prey monsters.

EoceneMiacid

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2019, 11:24:15 PM »
Still finetuning, but it definitely looks and feels better. The picture you posted helped.

Today I'm going to continue improving the weapons in all sorts of ways. If you've played Quake 4, you'll probably recall that most weapons received upgrades throughout the game. I have the skins set up so I can change the appearance of the weapon from 'factory issue' to 'modded' on the fly (some of them even have multiple mods), though the mods don't have any effect yet. And sadly, I do not have cool mounting animations like you do in Doom 2016 :p

The handgrenade system needs work too. In the mod, they aren't selectable, but need to be thrown with a key. Currently, what this does is simply switch to handgrenades, automatically throw one, then switch back to the previous weapon. It works alright, the animations are fast, and the grenades themselves were modified to have much better physics. They are also much more powerful - excellent room clearers.

But the problem is you don't have any control over the force you throw them with. What needs to happen is if the player holds the grenade key, a power indicator appears on the HUD which charges until the key is released, and the grenade is then thrown with that amount of force. If it's less than 50%, underhand animations are used, otherwise overhand.

And if the player neglects to release the key, the grenade'll explode in his hand.

EoceneMiacid

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2019, 11:55:56 AM »
Had some leftover funds to spend on Steam, so I spent it on this:

This is Vanquish, and it's an absolute riot. It definitely takes some time getting used to the controls (I've never played a game in this style before), but I'm getting the hang of the nuances. It's the most fun I've had with a computer game since Doom 2016, and probably an all-time top ten favorite.

(I am unaffiliated with Platinum Games, or Sega, by the way)

It's also quite the source of inspiration, featuring a number of things I wouldn't mind having in Supremacy.

EoceneMiacid

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2019, 01:47:39 AM »

Nevermind the dude in the front hasn't got a head, he's the fifth variation of the Sec, but using Doom 3 guy's body (or rather, he's Doom 3 guy wearing a Sec outfit) - so instead of being glued to a fixed weapon like the others, this one can use all weapons.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 02:00:16 AM by EoceneMiacid »

EoceneMiacid

• View Profile
Re: Supremacy 3
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2019, 03:09:04 PM »
Alright - 15 november it is.

EoceneMiacid

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2019, 11:18:44 AM »
I would like to take the opportunity to plug the Doom Reborn mod, which I've been playing and enjoying a lot - and you should too.

Props to GameHacker who made it!

(It should keep you nicely occupied until Supremacy3 is released ;) )
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 11:20:44 AM by EoceneMiacid »

EoceneMiacid

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2019, 03:16:07 PM »

EoceneMiacid

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2019, 04:30:57 AM »
As if you didn't get this from the screenshots already, Supremacył now contains enough Prey assets to allow importing, dmapping and playing it's maps. Even if they aren't suited to what I have in mind (and also being designed around being able to wall walk, switch gravity and use portals), it's still nice to have all the materials, mapobjects, particles and other effects available for aspiring content makers.

I expect to finish importing the remaining assets today to make sure all of it's maps work, and then I will move onto the next phase - Quake 4 maps. However, Quake 4 materials aren't as straightforward to import and adapt as Prey's, a lot of materials will need to be re-written.

That's probably going to keep me busy for a few days.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 05:45:14 AM by EoceneMiacid »

EoceneMiacid

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2019, 02:10:40 AM »
It's not the Slayer, though - the Praetor suit just happens to be one of the armor suits you can find and wear in the game.