Reset Windows brightness after loading D3 On ATI Win 8.1

Started by The Happy Friar, November 12, 2014, 06:52:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Happy Friar

When I load up D3 in a window (or the D3 editor) my screen brightness goes SUPER bright.  In Win XP I could load up my ATI control panel and reset the brightness.  In 8.1 I can't.  Not sure if it's a windows 8.1 thing or because AMD/ATI changed the control panel.  There's no more 3D color correction options I can find.

Anyone else have this happen & know how to fix it?  It's annoying and ONLY happens with Doom 3 in a window.  No other D3 engine based games.

motorsep

BloodRayne

Quote from: The Happy Friar on November 12, 2014, 06:52:11 AM
When I load up D3 in a window (or the D3 editor) my screen brightness goes SUPER bright.  In Win XP I could load up my ATI control panel and reset the brightness.  In 8.1 I can't.  Not sure if it's a windows 8.1 thing or because AMD/ATI changed the control panel.  There's no more 3D color correction options I can find.

Anyone else have this happen & know how to fix it?  It's annoying and ONLY happens with Doom 3 in a window.  No other D3 engine based games.

I had this happen and eventually resorted to a simply hack. I created a shortcut to doom3 which set the brightness/gamma both back to normal up on start, then a -crash command (only works with the -developer switch). Then D3 starts, reverts the brightness and crashes. I added the normal brightness values to the regular Doom3 shortcut.

The Happy Friar

Quote from: motorsep on November 12, 2014, 12:45:41 PM
Is it happening with old Doom 3 ?

Only the original D3, yes.  Don't own BFG but it doesn't happen with ETQW & never happen with Q4/Prey/Wolf.  Doesn't happen with the GPL engine variants I think but I haven't tried many D3 based ones.

Quote from: BloodRayne on November 12, 2014, 12:51:39 PM
I had this happen and eventually resorted to a simply hack. I created a shortcut to doom3 which set the brightness/gamma both back to normal up on start, then a -crash command (only works with the -developer switch). Then D3 starts, reverts the brightness and crashes. I added the normal brightness values to the regular Doom3 shortcut.

How can I set the brightness/gamma on start?  I didn't say in the original post but Doom 3 itself looks fine, it's the rest of windows.

BloodRayne

D3 uses hardware Gamma, cranking everything up as long as D3 runs. The issue is that D3 doesn't end correctly, not being able to reset the gamma (OS, hardware level) back to normal.

Add this to the shortcut that resets the gamma:

doom3.exe -developer 1 -brightness 1 -gamma 1 -crash

Add this to your regular shortcut:

doom3.exe -seta brightness <yourvalue> -seta gamma <yourvalue>

revelator

There is also setgamma from lord havocs darkplaces site.