News:

One Minute Game Review by The Happy Friar: https://ugetube.com/@OneMinteGameReviews
Also on Rumble: https://rumble.com/c/c-1115371

idTech 4 (aka Doom 3 tech) Discord Server! https://discord.gg/9wtCGHa

Main Menu

Taking content requests!

Started by Zombie, October 10, 2014, 01:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zombie

Hello everyone,

I'm taking requests for content that takes advantages of DOOM 3's strengths.

Unfortunately I won't be making anything that uses vegetation or outdoor content as it isn't appropriate for the engine.

If you need something made, please state the following

- what game
- What type of content you want
- Any references
- any technical requirements
- When you need it buy

I am by no means the best artist, but I'll do my best to make it high qualityfor you.

:armadillochase: :hog:

In Production

Rock set
Complete

Bladeghost

I can make a suggestion, a SKYBOX and or FOLIAGE pack for D3 would be interesting.

Zombie

Nice, you must be able to read minds.

Working on a nature pack right now.

It's going to consist of plants, trees, boulders, and ground textures.

Skyboxes are pretty available already, not sure if you knew about this site: http://www.humus.name/index.php?page=Textures A LOT of cubemaps, which can be easily made for DOOM 3.

nbohr1more

A demo city street with strombine style lighting for The Dark Mod.  ;)

Zombie

Quote from: nbohr1more on October 10, 2014, 10:28:25 PM
A demo city street with strombine style lighting for The Dark Mod.  ;)

Got any ref or style? realistic is tough to do in D3 with so many rendering limitations

Zombie

After playing around, there is nothing I can do to make vegetation look good in DOOM 3. So I am not going to do that set, it's just too frustrating trying to make it look decent.

I will finish the rocks and ground textures I made though. They are very different to the other set.

I also updated the first post to more specific about content requests.

I wont make stuff that looks bad in the engine.

nbohr1more

Well I just wanted to see how your interpretation of our typical 16th century city streets would look but if you could get the lighting to look as good as:

http://www.lunaran.com/page.php?id=165

it could serve as a good illustration for mappers.

I'll get some images up when I'm not on mobile but you should try Melan's "Return to the City" for reference.

Zombie

Ah the strombine lighting.

I've known Lun for a long time, so this isn't anything against him, but that lighting setup is a good tech demo, nothing more. It's basically a 1D lightmap

In reality doing that lighting setup is a pain in the backside for a few reasons:

- it takes a lot of patience to paint the ambient texture
- you have to have an understanding of how light bounce works to some degree, otherwise when you paint your ambient shadows it'll look strange
- in something like the Darkmod you can have up to 60 unique spaces or more, painting and ambient texture for each room just isn't feasible
- once you use this technique your area becomes very very static, you can't have moveable objects or physics objects because if an object moves you'll see a blob of shadow caused by nothing. And if you don't have ambient painted under all objects you'll have inconsistencies, then your scene just looks weird
- most of the areas don't have intense use of stencil shadows due to contrasting lighting styles, the use shadows is very small and subtle in strombine

You're better off adding realtime AO and or baked GI for your static environment.

Of course don't let me stop you from doing this, it's just not a good way to light your scenes for DOOM 3.

In regards to the other effects in the scene it's just planes with gradients and a fog light, pretty standard stuff.

I checked out the level on youtube, a one hour play through.

Verynice and I like it a lot, but there are a lot of improvements you can make to the ambient lights to have it more contrasty.

Right now it seems like the ambient is too high so it washes out the details, and the lighting is too white.

Make sure to use and abuse the light falloff image. It makes the light darker or lighter depending on how you make it. You might already know of this, but it makes a big difference to ambient lit areas http://i.imgur.com/bCw68jG.jpg

lights/wicky02_chandelier
{
lightFalloffImage makeIntensity ( textures/wicky02/lights/lightramp_light_to_dark.tga)
{
forceHighQuality
map textures/wicky02/lights/light_chandelier.tga
colored
zeroClamp
}
}

EDIT: I did a small test of what would be an outside city, and you can get some pretty ok falloff on the lighting http://i.imgur.com/9dKOzXG.jpg
If you can image your Darkmod content there, I think it would look really good.

solarsplace

Hi Zombie

I would like to make a model request please. I know there are candle models in stock Doom 3, however for those that are trying to avoid using those assets. Clean new candle models are easy enough to make even for me, however when you are wanting the worn, melted side, wax dripping effects this takes more modeling skill than I have.

Game: Standard Doom 3 / IDTech4 but not using any stock assets
Model: Large dripping church style candle models. Hopefully 2 or 3 separate slightly different versions for variety if placed side by side
Needed: No massive rush

Example: http://dd5h0mlekaknd.cloudfront.net/imgs/products/uk/550_constW/CA13853~Battery-Operated-Dripping-Wax-Pillar-Candles_P1.jpg

The candles would ideally have two separate meshes, one for for the wax body and a single plane for the flame. The flame can then be manipulated via material script to simulate the flame flickering. Just like the Dark Mod does to great affect.

To make the candles more useful, I could add an entity def and script for the candles so they can be ignited or doused via level script or triggers etc. We can change the material on the candle via skins to set the flame to nodraw and the candle body to a dark version of the texture when doused.

Hopefully this would be a useful addition to anyone making less high tech environments and could replace the stock assets for those who want to go stand alone.

Many thanks and hope you consider this request.

Regards

nbohr1more

Thanks for the tips Zombie.

Not to be defensive but Melan's map is meant to be played with the ambient light calibrated very dark.
Unfortunately, youtube players have a habbit of cranking gamma and brightness which leads to
a more washed-out look. Still, the varied ambient you demonstrated is a useful alteration. I see
that the way it passes through the geometry approximates some sorta light bouncing.

Zombie

Quote from: nbohr1more on October 12, 2014, 01:07:39 PM
Thanks for the tips Zombie.

Not to be defensive but Melan's map is meant to be played with the ambient light calibrated very dark.
Unfortunately, youtube players have a habbit of cranking gamma and brightness which leads to
a more washed-out look. Still, the varied ambient you demonstrated is a useful alteration. I see
that the way it passes through the geometry approximates some sorta light bouncing.

Ahhh that makes sense, it was rather bright I thought :)

Very cool map, really captured that Thief experience and a nice layout.

You can get away with quite a lot with the falloff images on lights, it just doesn't work well in bright maps.

douglas quaid

That's great thanks for the offer Zombie.

I'd love to see barbed/spiked wire and hanging hook/chain decals created ( wrapping and straight lined wire).  Also, if you have the time, a human skin texture. It would really help out with my upcoming horror game and I'm sure it would help out others too.
TOTAL RECALL - Singleplayer mod for Doom 3 starring Arnold Schwarzenegger
BLACKOUT - Free indie horror game based on the id Tech 4 engine

motorsep

Quote from: Zombie on October 11, 2014, 10:05:49 AM
After playing around, there is nothing I can do to make vegetation look good in DOOM 3. So I am not going to do that set, it's just too frustrating trying to make it look decent.

Could you please clarify what makes it impossible to make decent looking foliage in Doom 3 ? (maybe I have a few tricks that can help or maybe it's something to keep in mind for features to add to our engine)

nbohr1more

Quote from: motorsep on October 12, 2014, 06:53:08 PM
Quote from: Zombie on October 11, 2014, 10:05:49 AM

Could you please clarify what makes it impossible to make decent looking foliage in Doom 3 ? (maybe I have a few tricks that can help or maybe it's something to keep in mind for features to add to our engine)

I'd say that our vegetation is pretty nice but I understand the misgivings about Doom 3 in general.

The big problem is that you can't have proper blended transparency and illumination in the same material. To
get illumination, you need to use the "alpha-test" material which has a rough edge. I suppose you can get away with
oak leaves (etc) which have a wavy edge anyway but most of the other desirable plant leaf profiles aren't so hot (look blocky).

One thing I haven't heard of anyone trying is a high resolution stipple dither but that would still look a little out-of-place.

Other shortcomings:

1) No proper translucency.... (fixed by Rich_is_Bored's trick) http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/11515-real-translucency-anyone/

2) Bad specular control (fixed by Rebb's gloss trick?)
3) Only two vertex colors supported (only 1 if you use Rich's trick)

Zombie

For me the lack of the following makes it difficult for veg to look good in DOOM:

- shadowmaps
- AO
- Lighting support for blended alpha surface (not alphatest)
- some sort of vertex deformation shader (animating vegetation with bones really isn't a good idea, you'd need to make many variations of each plant so they don't all animate the same)

The surface of the plants and what not that I have test always looks pretty decent, but then you put it in a scene and it doesn't look grounded, and the hard edges of the plants doesn't look nice either.

Content wise I was shown by artists who worked at Crytek how to make vegetation, so that is fine, I know the correct pipeline.