News:

One Minute Game Review by The Happy Friar: https://ugetube.com/@OneMinteGameReviews
Also on Rumble: https://rumble.com/c/c-1115371

idTech 4 (aka Doom 3 tech) Discord Server! https://discord.gg/9wtCGHa

Main Menu

New Doom (2016) Thread

Started by oneofthe8devilz, June 14, 2015, 11:26:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oneofthe8devilz

I got to shoot .50 weapons and man are these things loud !!!

I think most gamers without actual weapon experience underestimate the punch of a weapon it creates during discharge.

I recall once standing 3 feet next to a guy quick-shooting the entire revolver drum of a .357 magnum in like 3-4 seconds and it felt almost like a barrage of face-slaps from that distance...

Speaking of big guns and calibers in games:

A long time ago (before I actually ported the railgun) I planned to bring this puppy into the game:

It was supposed to be a 20mm Rapid Intervention Rifle with a rate of fire of around 4 rounds per second (You know... for the real heavy duty clean up work) and to get away with the ridiculous recoil such a gun would create in automatic mode, I planned to come up with some modern 22nd century shock absorber UAC technology myth :)
I got six little friends and they all run faster than you ;)

Check out our mods at
moddb or the SPS Homepage

VGames

Awesome looking. But my chaingun already has a secondary fire that fills the heavy auto cannon spot. Definitely my kind of gun design though.
Get the latest on Perfected Doom 3 here - http://www.moddb.com/mods/perfected-doom-3-version-500

The Happy Friar

Quote from: oneofthe8devilz on May 16, 2016, 11:00:03 AM
I got to shoot .50 weapons and man are these things loud !!!

A friend of mine fired some in the military. He was telling me if you stood on the front side of the barrel or directly to the side you could go deaf.   :P

The Happy Friar

Get me links to your screens and I'll set them up as the slideshow on my news site.  :)

oneofthe8devilz

Take a look at what I just found in the basement...

And actually I am a huge guy with huge hands but that .50 BMG Round still looks BIG in my palm...

Check out our mods at

The Happy Friar

Doom 3D map screenshot vs Metroid Prime 3D map screenshot

Metroid Prime HUD

I just keep feeling like "man, they got it RIGHT!"  It seems they took all the great parts of famous shooters and put them on top of Doom gameplay.   The battles are fun, monsters are great to fight & vary in styles, big monsters feel big like in D3.  This should be on Wii U with the same control scheme as Metroid Prime for Wii.  Would be amazing.

oneofthe8devilz

What I really dig are the ambient sounds of the game...

Check out our mods at

The Happy Friar

I must admit that I'm dissapointed I can't move all the junk I could in Doom 3.

Also noticed that movable objects don't have their locations saved with the savegames like D3.  Also noticed that the game loads a LOT faster then D3 ever did.  I can load the first level in Doom in ~1/2 the time as Doom 3's first Mars map.  Impressive.  Must do a lot of progressive loading.

VGames

That's good to hear. Definitely one thing I really hate about Doom 3.
Get the latest on Perfected Doom 3 here - http://www.moddb.com/mods/perfected-doom-3-version-500

The Happy Friar

If it's any consolation, D3 loads ~3x faster then any Source game I've ever used, even currently.  :)

VGames

argoon

Quote from: The Happy Friar on May 16, 2016, 12:39:39 PM
I must admit that I'm dissapointed I can't move all the junk I could in Doom 3.

Also noticed that movable objects don't have their locations saved with the savegames like D3.  Also noticed that the game loads a LOT faster then D3 ever did.  I can load the first level in Doom in ~1/2 the time as Doom 3's first Mars map.  Impressive.  Must do a lot of progressive loading.

I bet some of that is because they use binary assets for everything like on idtech 5. 

Btw I've seam to read somewhere that Doom 4 has no Megatextures but that is not true it has virtual textures that afaik is essentially the same thing just with a different name, that explains the 50+GB required space, perhaps they decided to change the name because of the bad rep that Megatextures add. 
Why don't we see texture popping?  Perhaps because before, Megatextures run on software (on AMD) and got accelerated on Nvidia by using Cuda, now on OpenGL 4.x they are accelerated by hardware on both AMD and Nvidia cards by using the GPU's "Tiled Resources" feature. 

Sparse Virtual Textures/

The Happy Friar

I see texture popping when I play.  I am guessing though they've improved the tech since Rage.

trebor

Friar you should try the D3 BFG edition. Loading times were reduced from 20 seconds to 3 in id tech 5 with the help of the binary formats.

oneofthe8devilz

The Lobby System ain't working so well for SnapMap... For every new SnapMap creation that I would like to give a try in multiplayer I end up having to invite manually friends from the friendlist.

There doesn't seem to be a convenient way to see which SnapMaps are being played/hosted by the majority of players at the very moment.

You can go to "Popular Maps" or "Most Played Maps" but that is no guarantee that the maps shown there are currently being played/hosted.

First Game Review Rating Sum Up:

Steam:
92% Positive (8,200 reviews)
8%   Negative (642 reviews)

Metacritic:
PC   = 77 / 100 (  5 critics)
PS4 = 80 / 100 (19 critics)
XB1 = 86 / 100 (  3 critics)

Amazon:
PC   = 3.4 / 5 (52 reviews)
PS4 = 4.4 / 5 (98 reviews)
XB1 = 4.4 / 5 (49 reviews)

Check out our mods at