News:

One Minute Game Review by The Happy Friar: https://ugetube.com/@OneMinteGameReviews
Also on Rumble: https://rumble.com/c/c-1115371

idTech 4 (aka Doom 3 tech) Discord Server! https://discord.gg/9wtCGHa

Main Menu

Water Mod

Started by Zombie, June 09, 2014, 07:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tron

I miss ETQW, spent a lot of hours in that game.

From what I remember the warping effect on the gun was fixed, but it was pretty unstable, for example if you switched from fullscreen to windowed (or even did something like bring up the start menu) it would reappear.

solarsplace

Quote from: Zombie on June 09, 2014, 07:51:48 PM
Does any one know where I can get a water mod from, possibly with source code?

Hi

Did you mean the "Water Physics Mod" ? if so, is this what you are looking for: http://doom3.filefront.com/file/Water_Physics_Mod;41449

There is no support in this code for underwater vision effects or water splash footsteps or player movement speed modifier when waist deep or swimming or for totally submerged non-footstep sound effect. Although I can probably send some code your way to cover this if you need it.

Thanks

Zombie

Solarsplace, that's tempting.

In return I would for sure drop something in a Paypal account for you.

Programmers time is super precious and I think getting proper water working in D3 would be worth it.

solarsplace

Hi Zombie

Actually that link I posted is for a really old version of the water physics mod. I can't find the newer version on the net anywhere.

I have a copy of the updated version with this version in the readme:

Water Physics Mod (v1.3.1)
========================
An original Lloyd Markle's mod (03/05/2005)
Updated for D3 1.3.1 by 6th Venom & Ivan_the_B (26/09/08)
========================

I guess I can upload it somewhere? or send it to you. Although not sure on what the rules are on distributing someone elses work publicly? as there is nothing in their readme about permission.

With regard to adding features, I would be happy to help, although no money would be necessary :) after all, how can I ask for people to help out on the Arx mod for free, if I'm not prepared to do the same :) - if you decide you need programming done, how about maybe making some sort of asset to go in the Arx mod instead?

Also there were two things with water mods I never got resolved, probably due to not being able to justify the time necessary to resolve them when there were other more important things to fix. These are:

Distortions around the player view weapons as already discussed.

Reflective water causing inside view of player view model and view distortion as player crosses boundary of any reflective material layer covering the surface of the water.

I'm sure there is a proper way to fix it, or perhaps suppressing those models from specific mirror materials if possible otherwise wall mirrors would would also be affected. I brought this up in Doom3world a couple of times, but I don't think anyone was particularly interested at the time.

Let me know what you think. I have always wanted to have fantastic water effects in Doom3 and a lot of people have done very effective work on that, but there always seems to be compromises and glitches that we spend hours trying to work around.

Cheers

Zombie

Yeah sure, I'd totally do some art work for your mod.

Having said that, right now I am helping another Ubisoft Studio in France. I wont be back until early November in Canada.

But if you make a list of what you want I can start hacking away at it when I get back.

In regards to the water mod though, do you think it'd be possible to merge it with Sikkmod? some xtra bells and whistles + water would make for a nice level experience :)

solarsplace

Quote from: Zombie on June 27, 2014, 05:58:04 AM
Yeah sure, I'd totally do some art work for your mod.

Having said that, right now I am helping another Ubisoft Studio in France. I wont be back until early November in Canada.

But if you make a list of what you want I can start hacking away at it when I get back.

In regards to the water mod though, do you think it'd be possible to merge it with Sikkmod? some xtra bells and whistles + water would make for a nice level experience :)

Hi Zombie

Thanks for the offer, much appreciated.

It is absolutely possible to merge the water physics mod with Sikkmod. I have done this in the Arx SDK code and everything (to my knowledge) works fine! - we will release all our code when we (eventually...) release the game in case there is some stuff that people may find useful, but it would not be a good base for most other mods due to huge amount of stuff we have changed and standard game-play would be broken.

It would be best IMHO to start with a clean-ish base such as the Sikkmod base and merge water physics in. That way you know for a start that the Sikkmod base has been thoroughly play tested by many people already and the water physics changes are relatively small. Then add any bells and whistles to that. Anyway just an idea...

Cheers

Zombie

Yeah a clean base for sure.

I don't code really, so what ever you recommend? I'll take your word on it ;)

Sir Blackington

Just wanted to add, wolfensein has the same artifact so its also present in that version of idtech 5

Zombie

What do you think about instead or and adding the same water support to q4? I'm thinking q4 levels would be cooler to make.