News:

One Minute Game Review by The Happy Friar: https://ugetube.com/@OneMinteGameReviews
Also on Rumble: https://rumble.com/c/c-1115371

idTech 4 (aka Doom 3 tech) Discord Server! https://discord.gg/9wtCGHa

Main Menu

why is this not news here!?

Started by argoon, August 11, 2017, 03:57:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

argoon

At lest i don't see any thread about it...  :P

Doom 3 BFG got a Vulkan render! written by a id Software coder, so in a sense a official render!

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Vulkan-Doom3-Available

The Happy Friar

Because it's not a news site.   :stroggflag:
Just announced today.  It's friday, people work.  :)
Q3A apparently has one in the works too.

Article doesn't have much info, but a relevant question is that with this rendering performance enhancement, can Doom 3 BFG now do large open areas with lots of polys and AI moving around + lighting w/o slowing to a crawl?

I'd imagine motorsep is compiling this moment to check.  :)

argoon

Quote from: The Happy Friar on August 11, 2017, 09:24:12 PM
Because it's not a news site.   :stroggflag:
Just announced today.  It's friday, people work.  :)
Q3A apparently has one in the works too.

Article doesn't have much info, but a relevant question is that with this rendering performance enhancement, can Doom 3 BFG now do large open areas with lots of polys and AI moving around + lighting w/o slowing to a crawl?

I'd imagine motorsep is compiling this moment to check.  :)

;D yes but i do work, i just forgot time diference  :D.

I don't think a Vulkan render will help much with that, it will enable more stuff but i don't think big forests will be one of them, but i could be mistaken.

Btw,  of topic, do your perchance know what peace of engine code controls the mouse icon for the full screen guis and the action button? Normally is the Mouse 1 key that triggers actions on GUI's but after i appropriated it for another use, clicking on GUI's stop, unless i assigned the attack button to another key, i tried to follow where the attack button is called but i don't seem to see anything obviously controlling GUI's interactions.

spamclark15

It's a neat thing to add, but has anyone made a massive open DOOM 3 map where Vulkan would really shine? I have a hard time finding any user maps for DOOM 3.

Snehk

Vulkan rendering seems neat, I'll try merging it into SE2 when I'll be able to do so (most probably next week). It'd be even better if we could alternate between OpenGl and Vulkan (like r_OpenGl and r_Vulkan cvars), but that'd take much more than my hacky coding.

I think that I'll wait to see RBDoom3BFG implementation first.

motorsep

Quote from: Snehk on August 12, 2017, 06:58:55 AM
Vulkan rendering seems neat, I'll try merging it into SE2 when I'll be able to do so (most probably next week). It'd be even better if we could alternate between OpenGl and Vulkan (like r_OpenGl and r_Vulkan cvars), but that'd take much more than my hacky coding.

I think that I'll wait to see RBDoom3BFG implementation first.

You could get with Vulkan BFG fork dev and port Vulkan rendering to SE2 together. Or port all SE2 goodies to Vulkan BFG including tools and new shaders. The dev knows about SE2 fork already ;)

Snehk

Only problem is that I'm not a graphics programmer and I'm not that much experienced with renderers and Doom 3 engine codebase. I'll have to learn the code first then try porting it. If the stock BFG with Vulkan code was more similar to RBDoom3 then it could be easier to port (there are noticeable differences, like in ObjectBuffer.cpp).

SE2 is a better development base than stock BFG engine wih Vulkan renderer (and it's only advantage over OpenGL is less CPU overhead), so porting it's assets to VkNeo is not giving me that much.

motorsep

Quote from: Snehk on August 12, 2017, 03:06:18 PMSE2 is a better development base than stock BFG engine wih Vulkan renderer (and it's only advantage over OpenGL is less CPU overhead), so porting it's assets to VkNeo is not giving me that much.

I am not saying you should be doing it alone. Try convincing vkNeo dev to help you.

Tbh, if you are after using SE2 for a scratch game, you might want to think it through. The whole reason I abandoned GPL engines is due to the fact that it's absolutely impossible to be productive using those engines. One is much better off using UE4 or Unity, especially if one isn't a graphics programmer.

However, if someone could take SE2 and make it run stock Doom 3 BFG content again, then modding scene (almost non-existent scene) would benefit greatly. For that purpose I'd get with Doom 3 BFG VR dev though and port all SE2 goodies, including tools, into his fork. VR is the future and it could breath new life into modding Doom 3 (BFG).

Snehk

I prefer to do things alone and only ask for help if I don't understand something.

Not being productive is more of a developer's thing than an engine related problem. Blendo Games developed Quadrilateral Cowboy on stock Doom 3 GPL engine, The Dark Mod also runs on their own fork of it. There's also Icarus Starship Command Simulator game in development. A pity that Hexen: Edge of Chaos died out (or devs decided to work secretely). I'm not a professional developer and I'll most probably never will be, it's just my hobby. I don't really care about great graphics, just something that runs well.

I'm more after making a prototype than full game (but if I'll make a good prototype, I may push it further), and on Doom 3 engine I've got full game logic and AI. Bringing DarkMod's AI improvements to SE2 would make it even better. On UE4 or Unity I'll have to make whole game logic and AI, whether through blueprints or coding. Right now on SE2 all I need is to make assets and scripts, but there is just a lot of other stuff I have to take care of that it makes things slow, and like anyone I have my lazy days.

Agreed on the VR. While I don't see PC gaming suddenly disappearing in a long time, VR support is a great thing to have.

But let's keep this on-topic. Anyone already tried compiling VkNeo? I don't even have Doom 3 BFG (got the non-BFG release), so I won't be able to check if it runs better until I'll get a copy...

spamclark15

I think the non-BFG version would be more useful as BFG Edition uses the id Tech 5 filesystem which unlike the id Tech 4 filesystem, is a nightmare to make mods for.

motorsep

Quote from: spamclark15 on August 14, 2017, 12:28:31 AM
I think the non-BFG version would be more useful as BFG Edition uses the id Tech 5 filesystem which unlike the id Tech 4 filesystem, is a nightmare to make mods for.

Eeh, what does it have to do with filesystem?

Snehk

Guess that he meant this whole no-dll improvement in BFG (or .resource files) since he mentioned modding.

Got BFG edition, I'll compile VkNeo to see how it runs soon.

Also, is SE2 compatible with BFG? Guess that there may be some differences in shaders and which scripts and defs engine calls (like se2_main and doom_main) and some other trivial stuff like that.

motorsep

Quote from: Snehk on August 14, 2017, 09:57:18 AM
Also, is SE2 compatible with BFG? Guess that there may be some differences in shaders and which scripts and defs engine calls (like se2_main and doom_main) and some other trivial stuff like that.

Unfortunately it's not compatible mostly due to shaders and YCoCg compressing for diffuse textures and skyboxes. Otherwise it should be compatible as I don't recall ripping anything out of the engine.

The Happy Friar

Quote from: spamclark15 on August 12, 2017, 04:17:10 AM
It's a neat thing to add, but has anyone made a massive open DOOM 3 map where Vulkan would really shine? I have a hard time finding any user maps for DOOM 3.

The Doom 3 World huge map from over a decade ago would be a great test.  It's online somewhere, I have it somewhere too.

spamclark15

I meant of places that still exist. I remember sites that actually had lots of DOOM 3 stuff but they're gone.