News:

One Minute Game Review by The Happy Friar: https://ugetube.com/@OneMinteGameReviews
Also on Rumble: https://rumble.com/c/c-1115371

idTech 4 (aka Doom 3 tech) Discord Server! https://discord.gg/9wtCGHa

Main Menu

Doom Eternal vs Doom 2016

Started by motorsep, March 23, 2020, 09:51:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MooD

It's good when you unlock everything :) the cheat codes and stuff are fun. when you get them all you can play doom1 on the pc in the room, to play Doom 2 you need to input the code "FLYNNTAGGART"

The Happy Friar

in case anyone didn't know, Doom 1 & 2 wad's are in "steamapps\common\DOOMEternal\base\classicwads"

motorsep

Well, I am on Khan Maykr level and I rage quit!  ::)

Btw, lore sucks.. As if they are really short on creativity nowadays.. Maker > Maykr.. WTF

The Happy Friar

I've rage quit 3 times before I finished it.  Go back the next day.  :p

MooD

I found it relatively hard because I played Ultra violence on my first play thru.
The Makyr I actually didn't have to much trouble with, here's what I did:

1.stay in air as much as possible.this biatch loves to burn the ground.

2.use plasma gun with the heat blast mod ( I had it mastered) when you have charged up the gun by shooting then you can do more damage.this will kill the fuck out of most things. there are three tiers of charge and your guns plasma will turn red when done charging all three.

3. headshot the drones with the machinegun for plasma ammo.

4.use the bfg ammo for basically a free shot, you only get one in that area.

5. The makyr can only be killed by bloodpunch, here's the trick, when she is vulnerable use the DB shotgun grapple hook to zoom up to her and blood punch.

If you try to reach her any other way she often will recover first.

6. the gun called the Unmakyr is made to kill the Makyr. Blame doom 64 for that one ;P

motorsep

I know all that.. It's just grindy level and grindy way of killing the boss. Sloppy design IMO.

I might just try unlocking Unmakyr and using that on her instead of grinding through that level....

The Happy Friar

I locked on with my rockets to take her out.

MooD

The rockets do the job nicely.

motorsep

Alright, I beat the game  8)

I think they had brain fart designing Icon of Sin combat. I was shocked to find out they didn't have Marauder on the last level  ::)

Out of curiosity I am going to try unlocking Unmakyr (probably need to use cheat codes to not waste time, since I could really use it to play Half-Life Alyx :P )

Btw, while having team pics in the credits is a nice gesture, I really enjoyed Doom 2016 end game credits a lot more.

MooD

Yeah the credits in the last game where great.
The after credits scene is funny tho, you seen it? You can just youtube it.

The Happy Friar

I was bummed the end credits weren't as cool as 2016 too. 

Motorsep, when you use mission select to go back & get the slayer keys you keep all your upgrades & what not. You can't use the cheat discs to get slayer keys though, but depending on the slayer key(s) you missed, the upgraded, heavier weapons will most likely make it really easy to get now.  :)

The Happy Friar

BTW, I liked the end boss level.  What did you guys think?  I also like it was nice how the game actually seemed to end vs the cliffhanger endings we get so much these days.

motorsep

Quote from: The Happy Friar on April 11, 2020, 07:43:08 AM
You can't use the cheat discs to get slayer keys though, but depending on the slayer key(s) you missed, the upgraded, heavier weapons will most likely make it really easy to get now.  :)

That's what I found out last night going through Cultists' Base.. I had sentinel armor enabled and slayer key wasn't there!! Imagine how I felt going back and replaying level yet again, but without cheat code  ::)

So, 4 more sentinel keys to go...

motorsep

Quote from: The Happy Friar on April 11, 2020, 07:46:23 AM
BTW, I liked the end boss level.  What did you guys think?  I also like it was nice how the game actually seemed to end vs the cliffhanger endings we get so much these days.

I thought it was okay'ish.. I mean, it was better than RAGE's ending :P I think Icon of Sin fight in original (old) Doom was a better boss fight.

I think the cliffhanger is that "NOOOOO!" voice on the Khan Makyr's level after you finished her off. Whoever yelled it out might be the boss of upcoming DLC?

The Happy Friar

I really enjoy the Quake Con & Confetti cheat disks.  Those add a lot of fun to the base game (I signed up for the free Amazon Prime trial just so I could get the Doomicorn skin too).  However, the unlimited ammo really makes the rifle micro-missles & mini-gun turret upgrade shine.  It's like you're just throwing out walls of death.  :)
While I was playing SP I was trying to be a completionist so I got all the Slayer Key's but one on my play through.  Ironically, I forgot to pick up the one I missed after I did the slayer gate.