Quake 4 way of resizing light volumes - a video is needed

Started by motorsep, September 28, 2014, 10:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motorsep

So I decided to look into a new-old way to set up lighting - a la Strombine map for Quake 4.

I've read author's write up about the workflow and I recall he suggest rotating light volume so that projection image is not projected top down (along Z), but horizontally (along X or Y). I am recalling this correctly ?

So I tried rotating light volumes in DarkRadiant - it rotates, but I am unable to resize it after that - it goes all out of whack. DOOMEdit doesn't even allow resizing light volumes using mouse. So that immediately makes lighting level with such method impossible. That makes me thing that in Quake 4 resizing light volume is a smooth process regardless how it's rotated.

Bkt, could you please confirm this with a short YouTube video so I could submit it as bug report/feature to DarkRadiant developers ? Thanks.

tron

Just count along the grid and manually input the dimensions you want.

motorsep

bkt

Quote from: motorsep on September 28, 2014, 10:58:27 PM
So I decided to look into a new-old way to set up lighting - a la Strombine map for Quake 4.

I've read author's write up about the workflow and I recall he suggest rotating light volume so that projection image is not projected top down (along Z), but horizontally (along X or Y). I am recalling this correctly ?

So I tried rotating light volumes in DarkRadiant - it rotates, but I am unable to resize it after that - it goes all out of whack. DOOMEdit doesn't even allow resizing light volumes using mouse. So that immediately makes lighting level with such method impossible. That makes me thing that in Quake 4 resizing light volume is a smooth process regardless how it's rotated.

Bkt, could you please confirm this with a short YouTube video so I could submit it as bug report/feature to DarkRadiant developers ? Thanks.
I haven't touched Radiant since releasing Dawn (Q4 and I have officially broken up).  From what I do remember from rotating lights though is that once you do that, the drag functionality for resizing the light volume becomes broken.  After rotating in D3Radiant you should still be able to go into the light editor and change the light volume via the x,y,z values though.

motorsep

Gotcha. So it's been a royal pita then from day one :)

Hopefully that will be solved in DR.

motorsep