id Tech 4 (Doom3/Prey/Q4) > id Tech 4 Tech Support

Compile RBDoom 3 BFG on Windows XP

(1/4) > >>

Ultrafart:
Hello fellows,

I'm new so I apologise in advance for not doing things right.   Anyway, I seek your advice.

Re RBDoom 3 BFG, I know it will all run fine on Windows 7 on an OpenGL 3.2 card.   But that's not my concern here.

Short story - running Windows XP, several laptops, Intel Series 4 Mobile Express Chipset (GMA 4500MHD).

Have Gallium llvmpipe software rasterizer (Mesa 10.6.x), provides core profile OpenGL3.3, GLSL 3.3.

Doom 3 BFG does run on Windows XP (hell, it will even run on Windows 98!) and so SHOULD run on this setup, BUT interrogates OpenGL compatibility profile instead of core profile, so won't run.   It acknowledges the core profile OpenGL 3.3 and GLSL 3.3 on attempting startup, but can't find about 7 extensions (even though they exist in the core profile) and fails.

Hoping RBDoom 3 BFG might have corrected this flaw (ie, use core profile instead of compatibility profile).

BUT can't find [ RBDoom3BFG.exe ] compiled for Windows XP (so get "not a valid win32 application") and so am not able to test this hypothesis.

SO, in a nutshell, here is my enquiry (in two parts) -

1.   Has anyone built  [ RBDoom3BFG.exe ] for 32-bit Windows XP?

2.   Can I use Visual C++ Express 2010 (instead of 2013) on a Windows XP PC to successfully compile [ RBDoom3BFG.exe ]?

Thanks for any useful advice you may be able to offer.

motorsep:
Tbh, WinXP is a dead OS. Windows 10 is coming out next month with free upgrade for Win7/8 users.

If you insist sticking with WinXP and yet playing Doom 3 BFG, you might as well install Linux and avoid all the headaches associated with WinXP.

Ultrafart:
Hi Motorsep,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I take your opinion seriously - I agree Linux is the best path for this issue taken in isolation.

HOWEVER, for when I want to play D3BFG, I have it running on another rig quite fine on Wxp, and that's not the point of my enquiry.

Running D3BFG on these laptops is not a show-stopper for me (nor likely anyone else).   It's just something I'd like to do, because I < think > I can.   Mainly to confirm that the Gallium rasterizer can bypass the inadequacy of the Intel GMA chipset, using Doom 3 BFG as my test case.

As you rightly suggest, Linux would be a more prudent path to accomplish this objective, but I'm inclined if possible to just go with the OS that's already set up on the laptops.   Path of least resistance, etc.   Hence my enquiry re Wxp.

So, no stress, if anyone else can actually shed light on the substance of my enquiry, I'd be grateful.

Regards

The Happy Friar:
I don't know because I never actually tried, but I'm betting The BFG edition needs something XP doesn't have.  I've compiled EXE's in Win 8 that work in 7 & XP but that code was designed with XP in mind.

Ultrafart:
Hi Happy Friar,

Thanks for your advice.

Doom 3 BFG definitely runs on Wxp, I have it running no probs here with a Geforce 9800GT.   With a very minor hex edit, apparently it will also run fine on W98 (tho haven't tested that myself).

Problem I have is, all the precompiled win32 RBDoom 3 BFG downloads (that I can find) target Windows 7, so fail to run on Wxp.   Given that  the RBDoom source has been derived from the original D3BFG, I'd assume that it would likewise run fine on Wxp if compiled for it.

I get the initial impression that there probably are no RBDoom downloads compiled for Wxp, so I may just have to bite the bullet and figure out how to compile the source myself.

Thanks again for taking the trouble to reply.

Regards.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version